This distinctive structure is located in the Village of Mineola in Long Island’s Nassau County, and is the longtime home of the Nassau County Bar Association.
Completed in 1931, the building known as Domus was designed in the feudal/Gothic architectural style and was constructed with bricks that had been used as ballast in ships coming over from England. Its original slate tile roof has been in place ever since. The building features a Great Hall, meeting and conference rooms, and a restaurant with full commercial kitchen.
This historic building project presented several construction challenges in replacing the slate and flat roof portions of the building.
The first issue was that the structural trusses in the roof over the commercial kitchen building had been damaged by application of a fire retardant treatment many years ago. This required Greenbuild to replace the trusses and the roof structure itself before the new slate tiles could be installed. Additionally, the commercial kitchen below was completely rebuilt once the roof restoration was complete.
Another challenge was in replacing the 60 foot skylight which runs the length of the main building. A temporary structural canopy had to be erected to protect the interior of the building from weather, while work was performed underneath to remove and restore the skylight.
This building has stood here for almost a century, and with its newly restored roof it will now be able to stand for another 100 years.
Restoration of this facility included new slate roofs and flat roofs, new 60 foot long skylight and associated structural work, new flashing and associated coping/ masonry, new roof trusses and commercial kitchen upgrade.